The annual gathering of Atheists and guest speakers will descend upon Salt Lake City April 17-20 at the Salt Lake Center.
Choosing the founding site of one of the worlds major religions will make waves, but also point out how relatively progressive Utah’s state capitol has become. SLC was recently named “Gayest City in America” by Advocate.com. Providing a haven for tolerance in the Mormon holy land speaks well for the Mormon (Church of Latter day Saints) religion who pivoted from policies of racism, polygamy, and a history of national scorn following the mountain meadows massacre.
A Good Choice for the Atheist Gathering?
Perhaps Mormons relatively short past makes them humble, and they will step up as the first major christian religion to accept atheists as thinking people who care about their fellow humans.
Schedule of Events and Speakers
Keynote speaker Chris Kluwe and special guests Denise Stapley and Mark White are certainly not the only big names featured at our 2014 National Convention.
- Rev. Barry Lynn, Executive Director of American United for the Separation of Church and State
- Maryam Namazie, spokesperson for the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain and blogger/activist
- Matt Dillahunty, host of the Atheist Experience
- Greta Christina, author and blogger
- PZ Myers, biologist and blogger
- Marsha Botzer, founder of the Ingersoll Gender Center and LGBT activist
- Faisal Saeed al Mutar, founder of the Global Secular Humanist Movement and online activist
- Sikivu Hutchinson, author of Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
- Vyckie Garrison, founder of No Longer Quivering
- Brian Keith Dalton, creator of the hilarious short film series Mr. Deity
- And many others…